Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I like Ohioans

I like Ohioans, but I like them better when they are IN Ohio. The other day an ugly blue vannish kind of vehicle with a license plate surround that said something about Elyria was in front of me long enough for me to study it. I bet I even had time to check its tire pressures. Where are interesting bumper stickers when you need something to read? Nowhere in sight this time. We were both trying to turn left from Office Park (at the corner by Marley's) heading into Sea Pines. I had just come from Harris-Teeter and of course I had gelato on board. Since this huge thing was in front of me I couldn't gauge when or whether I would ever get across to the entrance lanes. We waited. We inched a little. We waited. And waited. Finally, nerve and inspiration moved these visiting Ohioans into, of course, the "residents" lane, which then caused yet another delay as the big, blue behemoth was sent across the "visitors" lane and into the Welcome Center. Big exhaling sigh.

I'm steaming as I finally see road space in front of me, and I'm reminding myself that we are all God's children and that we can't all live at the beach and that it's really silly to let stuff like that get to me and that anyway I'm not stuck behind them speeding along at 15 mph with my gelato turning to soup while they gawk at whatever. But multiply it by a bazillion times in summer after summer, and it gets old. And then of course there's the realization that this huge vehicle will be parking at the Beach Club, and that huge vehicles like that are the reason the parking lot was redone this past winter, wasting trees and also wasting a couple of months of easy access to the ocean. There's also the idea that an enormous vehicle can carry a lot of people who need a lot of food and so I know will see that thing again, or one like it, at Publix if I am foolish enough to go there on Saturday afternoon. I will be behind them in line, and with any luck they will have only one overflowing cart.

The thing is that Ohioans IN Ohio are much easier to get along with. I was there last week and feeling very happy for them about how high the corn was and how green the soy fields were and how nice some of the old-time architecture was. I even shopped among them with no issues. My youngest daughter and I had a wonderful al fresco dinner in Columbus' University area, surrounded by Central Ohioans who seemed to belong right where they were. We had cucumber martinis and some great small plates and we chatted with the people around us. Very enjoyable.

So how come these people seem so different once they get on the West Virginia Turnpike and start flying south, making time, oblivious to anything that resembles consideration?

5 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

Yup, PB, they are ok as long as they stay put. BTW, I took Hubby to the Badlands 2 weeks ago, and we had the opposite problem. The Badlands are an amazing 22 mile drive thru some incredible scenery. We were driving very slowly - 25 mph (the speed limit was 35) - but had to keep pulling over to let the out-of-state speedracers by. Since when is viewing nature's majesty done at 55 mph? When we got to the end, there they all were, piled up at the restaurant and waiting in line to get their pictures taken on top of the "Welcome to the Badlands" sign. Hunh?

"P. B." said...

Someday I'm going to the Badlands and now I'll know whatnottodo. Thanks, WC. I'm kinda amused at the comparison between Sea Pines and Badlands though.

When my lovey and I lived at South Beach, we kept seeing couples we called "Harriet and Frank" crawling along looking for a view of the ocean. "This is an island, isn't it? Where's the ocean, Frank?" "I don't know, Harriet, you've got the map." "Gosh, you'd think they'd cut down some of these trees."

WileyCoyote said...

LOL Not to worry pb - you have class and an innate sense of what to do when. Sea Pines is beautiful in a different way than the Badlands (once you get inside the gates) - both can occasionally take your breath away. Can't even imagine you racing thru there.

I think I know your Frank and Harriet - of course, we call 'em Fred and Maude... nasal tonalities added.

beautiful new hampshire said...

Cheers from beautiful new hampshire .. this is an experiment as my first blog ever .. and have already lost 2 in the process .. just know that up here we have No traffic - we just amble/shuffle along leafy byways, breathing clear lovely air and would send you some if we could .. special love to pb from bnh

"P. B." said...

Dear "beautiful": You did it! Now you can express yourself whenever! Bring us some cool fresh air. Some of us are way too full of hot air. :>)
PB (aka J)