Thursday, July 24, 2008

Oy, gevald!

It's a bad sign when I start cursing in Yiddish. I'm not even Jewish. I've worked for a lot of Jews though, everything from a Presbyterian minister to a Seventh Avenue schmate (rag, meaning fashion in this case) company with a nuclear physicist and a business professor in between. I don't remember where I learned the word "facocta", and I don't know whether that's the way it's supposed to be spelled. I just know that I heard myself muttering last night and going on and on in pseudo-Yiddish with a "schmietnik" thrown in from time to time. I just learned that last one from an ESL student. It's Polish for "garbage."

This tsuris (trouble, pain) is all about the state of the financial system in this country and actually in the world. I am grateful, however, for the nick-of-time reminder that indeed one has to look out for one's self; that no one, even if they're paid to do it, is as good at looking out for me as I am. That is scary because I'm not that smart and I am having more and more trouble keeping up with the increasing complications of daily life. But I didn't lose $8.9 Billion... Billion!... as Wachovia just reported they did. So take that, you facocta idiots! I can learn to understand the TEDspread global credit risk indicators. True, I'd rather be thinking about a new BEDspread, but I'm a grown up, and so I'll work with what we have, which is a facocta globalized credit mess, which affects everyone, young and old, rich and poor, interested or bored.

Unfortunately, the financial advice that's out there for the average DIY person isn't that great. It's all "Keep a three-month stash (of money) handy for emergencies;" "Try to negotiate better terms with your lenders;" "Cut up your credit cards," etc. Now they're adding some boilerplate commentary about the FDIC to quell the panicky feelings some have and to avoid any more IndyBank runs, but the utility of the advice for people who have enough money to be concerned with the FDIC limits isn't impressive.

If you are looking at foreclosure and bankruptcy, that three-month rainy day fund is probably gone or at least not happening now. Since it took me four transfers with lovely classical music on Hold to DEPOSIT money in a bank yesterday, I wonder how much patience it takes to find the one person who has not been layed off at Wachovia who might help you with your credit issue. And at a certain point, cutting up the cards is a meaningless gesture, because these days even American Express is imposing limits and lowering them if they feel the need.

I DID hear some useful advice this morning. Useful because it was direct and clear, not because I can use it. When Jean Chatzky, the financial guru who is cute but who has never told me anything I didn't already know, was pressed on "Morning Joe," she said that people should NOT deplete their 401Ks to forestall foreclosure or bankruptcy. Walk away from the house. And if you need to go bankrupt, at least know that retirement accounts, like IRAs and 401Ks, are exempt from bankruptcy claims.

That it's come to this. Facocta!

3 comments:

Mad Hatter said...

That's too funny, I mean the cursing in another language. I picked up a few curse words when was stationed in Korea. But anyway, yeah this whole banking institution thing, is rough

"P. B." said...

Oh, it's more than "rough", MH. It's FACOCTA! (That may show up as a screenname at BT. I wonder if they'll allow it.)

I think Asian curses are very difficult to learn. Way to go!

WileyCoyote said...

Grrr, PB. I know what you mean... BOA doesn't HAVE a bank within 300 miles of me, so I had to switch to a smaller bank. BOA - whom I've been with for 27 years, since they were C & S in SC - treats me like a redheaded stepchild because I HAVE to transfer money to this other bank! It takes 4 Days!!!

As for the swapping of money and robbing Peter to pay Paul with the Fed Reserve, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and all of those people who should have known better, many of my friends have gone to buying silver bars every paycheck - small ones, about $60 worth. They absolutely believe that the dollar will lose its value. While I'm not doing that - we've paid off all our bills, I got out of the stock market last year, and now any income is gravy -I worry a lot about what will happen to my friends if we slide into a recession worse than the '80's. The sages of the financial world pontificate as if there were no people living hand to mouth, dependent on a purely service economy for their income, or on fixed incomes. I never listen to them - common sense and gut feelings are more accurate than they! Like psychics - few of them get rich off of their own knowledge or counsel, but they will always have jobs as long as there are gullible people to believe in them.