Wednesday, July 30, 2008

We all scream

Amazon Valley Chocolate.....Fleur De Sel Caramel.....Toasted Coconut Sesame Brittle.....Brazilian Acai Berry Sorbet.....Hawaiian Lehua Honey & Sweet Cream.....Pomegranate Chip.....Pomegranate & Dark Chocolate Bars (3 count).

We're talking ice cream of course. This morning's Harris-Teeter ad features a full page of pictures and description of Häagen-Dazs pints. "Explore the World One Pint At A Time." I'm not a particular fan of Häagen-Dazs. It's a made-up name, it's a little too rich for my taste, it's a little too pricey to be worth the cost to me when there are others I enjoy just as much. If I'm going for "super premium," I'm probably going for Ben & Jerry or Dove. But even with all that, I wouldn't bet that I won't find some in my grocery cart tomorrow.

Thursday, after all, IS Senior Discount Day at H-T, so that means that the advertised price of $3.99 a pint, which they say will save me "at least 70 cents", will be discounted another 5 per cent.

But it's not only about the money. The sugar, the fat, the calories! I could pass on my nightly glass of wine in favor of a light beer and save about 70 calories or I could go for a vodka and soda and save even a few more. Probably, though, I'd have to go on the wagon for at least a week before those sacrificed calories would equate the ones in the pint of ice cream. But pomegranate chip! Maybe I'll just do the bars.

How come the berries that are a much better deal just don't speak to me the way ice cream in July does?

7 comments:

Mad Hatter said...

I personally absolutely love their Coffee Ice Cream, I hate just about anybody else's, call me an ice cream snob. Now that Rita's is open over here I've found a new love in their frozen custard. I'm not sure what frozen custard is... It probably means it has double the calories or something. I eat it anyway.

"P. B." said...

Never been a fan of anybody's coffee ice cream. I remember a time during my first marriage when we stopped for ice cream, and I stayed in the car with the kids while He went inside to get the cones. I said, "Surprise me." Wouldn't you think the man would know I meant "strawberry"? What did he bring me? Coffee. Insensitive clodness or passsive aggressiveness? I leave it to you. (And don't say unreasonable wifeness.) :>)

Mad Hatter said...

Hmmm I don't know him, so we can say whatever about him. Now I really like Bruster's, and I was mad when they closed the one on the Island.

WileyCoyote said...

Well, you can do what I did today, PB - picked up some rock salt. Now I have all the ingredients to make real butter pecan ice cream. At least I know what's going into it!! LOL Before you think I'm being 'way too country, it is simply practical - it's too far to drive between the grocery store and the house, even with air conditioning!!

PS I loathe Haagen-Dazs, too. It has a weird aftertaste, to me, anyway. Like milky cobwebs clinging to my palate, and slightly sour. Same with frozen custard and frozen yogurt.

Give me creamy fatfilled real cream and some nice pronounceable additives like "butter" and "pecans" and "honey" instead of "ascorbic acid" and "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil" and I'm happier!

Any man who surprises his wife with something bitter and plain like coffee ice cream, instead of something rich and tempting and wonderful, needs to be gotten rid of. It said a lot more about him than it did about you!

"P. B." said...

Making your own is the best option of course. But do ya have any pomegranates around, WC?

And you people are far too kind. No matter what terrible things can be said about the ex, I was an immature birdbrain and must still be or I wouldn't be holding on to this "grievance." :>)

"P. B." said...

More fun screaming

Mad Hatter said...

I wonder what flavor that makes this area. LOL